Well I havent updated this since late August it looks like. I did go to I think 3 games in Sept, easily setting a record for most A's games I've ever attended in a season. I've tried to count them all and it came to roughly a dozen. Thats like 2 every month. Hope to do the much the same in 2011... Now we're getting somewhere: I'm so excited for this next season!
So far this offseason, the A's have made some pretty sweet moves. We acquired David Dejesus from the Royals; the 30-year-old hit .318 last year! Thats a higher average than anyone on the A's last year! We just welcomed back Rich Harden, who has been with Texas the past 2 years but started his career with Oakland. If he can come back to his old home and get back to his old ways and stay healthy, he could be phenomenal out of our bullpen. His stuff is filthy. It seems he just cant stay healthy or strong enough to pitch an entire season as a starter. I think its the mechanics of his delivery. Call me crazy, but I think he could transition into a terrific set-up man to pitch the 8th inning lights out before Bailey comes in. I'm happy the A's picked up Ellis' option for this year in his contract, I think he'll have another solid year. But I do fear for his departure or retirement after this season... Time to talk about something more positive, quick! On my birthday yesterday the A's signed Hideki Matsui! Godzilla! Power hitter from Japan, and he just came to us from the Angels! Love it when the Angels get weaker and we get stronger at the same time! But I dont think you know what this does! We have a legitimate, solid, veteran, clean up hitter! He's going to provide great production on his own, but it also lifts the "you have to be the man" burden off the shoulders of guys like Kurt Suzuki, Kevin Kouzmanoff, and Daric Barton. When we bat those guys around Matsui, their production, like average and home runs, will go up! They will see better pitches! I guarantee it! Thats just how it works. So what does our lineup look like on Opening Day (this gives me chills!):
1. Coco Crisp - CF
2. David DeJesus - LF
3. Kurt Suzuki - C
4. Hideki Matsui - DH
5. Kevin Kouzmanoff - 3B
6. Daric Barton - 1B
7. Ryan Sweeney - RF
8. Mark Ellis - 2B
9. Cliff Pennington - SS
And obviously this isnt everybody. Chris Carter is gonna be a beast of a hitter when his time comes. It will be interesting to see how much he gets to fill in for DeJesus and Sweeney. Adam Rosales is able to spell any of our infielders for days off and I cant tell you how much I appreciate his hustle every time he gets a chance to play. Landon Powell is another bat I'd like to see get some time in the lineup. His primary role is Suzuki's back up, but I think he should give Matsui a day off once in a great while and if he can play decent first base, back up Barton as well. I would LOVE to see a more consistent lineup this year, but I understand it has to change if someone gets injured and also has to change to prevent injuries a little bit really, and the whole injury issue has been a big deal for the A's the past several year. On that front though, they took my advice! The strength and conditioning head coach has been replaced! Cant say all our injuries were his fault, but maybe time will tell, and I woulda made the same move if I were Billy Beane. Leading the leauge in DL usage 4 years in a row is unacceptable and you have to do SOMETHING! And he did! Thank the Lord! So far, we've lost Jack Cust, which is just fine with the addition of Matsui. I wont miss all those strikeouts with runners on! Sadly, we've also dealt the electric Rajai Davis. He's gone to Toronto. A lot closer to his home in Vermont. I'm sorry Amanda. I would have love to have kept him. I like him more in our lineup AND outfield than Sweeney, but as I look at it, the starting 3 we have, backed up by Chris Carter and Connor Jackson, I think we'll be a-okay.
So the biggest segment I havent really talked about is our starting pitching. And thankfully, not much needs to be said. Our staff is full of young studs. Guys like Cahill, Gio, Anderson, and Braden were lockin it down every damn day. These guys are still very young (I'm not sure if Cahill can even drink yet!), have another year of MLB experience under their belts together, and I think they are gonna light it up. Good chance of being the best rotation in the AL. Certainly the AL West with the Rangers losing out on the Cliff Lee sweepstakes. I was so happy for that! To see he signed with Philly! The Rangers just got a lot weaker and I love it! Wait a minute, we just discussed how the Angels got weaker, the Rangers got weaker, and the A's got better! And I dont think we need to worry about the Mariners--they were horrible last year with a record of 61-101 and havent made any significant moves as far as I can tell. I swear I'm not tryin to count my chickens before they hatch, but I smell playoffs! :)
One more point to consider: Adrian Beltre. Far and away the best positional player on the free market still. He's killed in Boston for a couple years now. He said he still wants to play in Boston, but the Red Sox declined his option (or he declined his option? does he think he's worth more money? Eh, probably, whatevs) for another year and the last real news reported on him on December 3rd was "Amid reports that the Oakland Athletics have made a generous offer to free agent Adrian Beltre, the third baseman maintained on Thursday night that his preference would be to stay with the Boston Red Sox." Okay fine. But I dont see where he fits. The Red Sox signed Adrian Gonzalez which moves Youkilis to 3rd. Youkilis is locked in for there for the Red Sox. He cant bat DH, thats Ortiz's job. Beltre is the odd man out. So hopefully, the A's get Beltre. That would be so HUGE! Kouzmanoff, and I like the guy, can simply take a hike. Beltre is the best offensive 3rd baseman in the game. Evan Longoria of the Rays is a close 2nd. Anyway. If the A's dont get Beltre, for the love of everything good and right in the world, can he please please please not go to the Angels! I would be crushed. Please Beltre, take the A's generous offer. You will love it here and we will love you! I'm telling you, that man, and the success it would bring the organization, and therefore, money, could very well fund a new ballpark! Lets sign Beltre for 7 years (at $150 million, I dont care, he's worth it!) and build a new park in 2 years!
So there you have it. April 1st cant get here soon enough. 106 days to go...
Thanks for reading. :)
I'm happy we still have Pennington, Kouzmanoff, Ellis and Suzuki, but I am going to miss Davis :(
ReplyDeleteHopefully the new additions will make the A's stronger and based on your jibber jabber, will take them to the play offs!
RAJAI :'(
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you appreciate my "jibber jabber". :)
ReplyDeleteBeltre went to the Rangers. I think thats okay. They dont resign Vlad now. I'm glad the Angels didnt get Beltre. I suppose they may go after Vlad now. We'll see.
ReplyDelete